Friday, April 18, 2014

Feature Friday with Melina Nastazia Photography!


1. Please tell us about yourself...

I was born in Thessaloniki, Greece, to an American Dad and Greek Mom, and moved to the States when I was
 seventeen. I have lived in Massachusetts, Maryland and NYC, and am currently settled in Brooklyn, NY with
my incredible husband, Justin, and two daughters, Cecilia--3 years old, and Willow--2 years old! 
They are the loves of my life!! 






2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?

I strive for "connection", "imagination" and "soul". Connection because that is what drives and fuels us, 


 "imagination" because it is a source of comfort, solace, escape and a creative outlet, "soul" because that is


 all that's left when everything else is stripped away.








3. What sparked your passion for photography?

I have always loved pictures. I used to look at my Mother's old family albums for hours. I loved creating scrap 


books and recording every little moment. I became interested in taking thoughtful and creative images when 


my daughters were born and Justin got me my first DSLR as a Mother's Day gift.








4. What's in your camera bag right now?

Canon 6D, 50mm 1.8, Lensbaby Composer Pro with Edge 80 Optic, my battery charger and an extra 

memory card.





5. What is your dream shoot or project?

I started looking at old black & white movies for inspiration as part of Emma Wood's incredible

 workshop: Timeless Photography and Emotive Expression, and that is an ongoing project

 that I intend to keep working on. I want to do a 'grandparent series' with my daughters,

 and I am also incredibly eager one day to purchase underwater housing for my camera so I can 

do an entire creative underwater series!






6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how?

I didn't realize how vastly huge the technical and creative pool of photography was.

 I know I have only dipped my toe into extremely deep waters, and I have so much respect

 for photographers and the work and expense that goes into the creative process.









7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?
Learn the rules, then learn how to break the rules. Study photographers you admire closely, but always listen to your own voice! Never be afraid to attempt an idea in your head...it may not go as planned, but it might just surprise you and turn into something you love even more! 








1 comment:

  1. love your description of your work, beautiful images! thank you for inspiration

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts