Thursday, July 24, 2014

Meet This Week's Judge: Jaclyn Shepard




This week we have Jaclyn of Jaclyn Shepard Photography with us! Her work with film and digital formats highlights an honest approach to photography, capturing pure emotion. Enjoy!



1. Tell us about yourself...

I'm a full-time pediatric psychologist with a humble passion for photography. I'm married to a supportive hubby (who patiently puts up with my photography gear addiction) and I'm mama to a strikingly beautiful 4-going-on-14-old, who is a major Daddy's girl. I also have two sweet pit bull pups, Princess Polly Pants and Li'l Man Jack, and a curmudgeonly cat, Jules. I am a lover of steak and sweet tea, and I desperately want to be a loyal coffee addict like all the cool kids, but I'm just not. I am an overuser of sarcastic hashtags, I don't cook at home enough, and I have an unhealthy relationship with chocolate chip cookie dough.



2. What ignited your passion for photography, and what fuels it now?

Truthfully, I've never considered myself an "artist" by nature and I haven't always been with a camera in-hand. In fact, I was always that kid who pitched a fit if you tried to take her picture. My mother unexpectedly passed away in 2012 and I was left with no way to cope. Photography was a hobby that my mother always held dear and it soon became the outlet I needed. I don't express myself well,so I found that shooting helped me process raw emotion. I needed a way to bring peace into my life and photography has allowed me to just create and breathe. The bonus is that I'm documenting important memories along the way.

  


3. What's in your camera bag right now, what do use the most? the least?

I have a mix of digital and film gear. I shoot with a Canon 5D Mark II, 50mm 1.2L, (insert big puffy heart), 85mm 1.8, and 16-35mm 2.8L. I actually use my film gear more these days. I shoot with an old dinosaur that etches the photo as a snap. #FlintstonesFTW! Haha, actually I shoot with my Dad's old Mamiya C330 with a 65mm lens. I prefer to shoot b&w film (tri-x 400 mostly), but for color, I'm a lover of Fuji 400H. I just got a Pentax 645N, but haven't shot with it yet. I'm suspecting that will be what I shoot with the most, once I have a lens for it.



4. What's your dream project or shoot?

I'm working on a personal project now called Emerging from Loss. I don't really know the direction that will take, but creatively this is my dream project.  



5. What is the biggest challenge you face as a photographer?

Comparing my work to others' and keeping expectations for myself way too high. I need to get over myself and just shoot for the reason why I got into photography in the first place.



6.  If you had $500 to spend on photography...

How should you spend it? on a blankity blank light meter.
How do you wish you could spend it? on more film gear!
How would you really spend it? on a blankity blank light meter (and film).




7. Is there any one thing you wish someone had told you at the very beginning of your photography journey? 

You can make mistakes; it'll be OK.
You won't be awesome overnight. 
You will become an addict surrounded by enablers and will soon start selling off your children for photography gear.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts