Friday, September 19, 2014

Feature Friday with Viveash Photography!

We are thrilled to learn more about Becs Viveash of Viveash Photography, the winner of last week's 'snapshot' challenge!






1. Please tell us about yourself... 
 I'm an obsessive photographer specializing in intimate, reportage style portraiture. Now based in Kuala Lumpur. (This is my third country in the 3 small years I've been in business!) 

I think I'm definitely one of those voyeuristic types. I'm not sure it's entirely healthy but photography beautifully feeds my addiction and allows me to create the colour filled world as I see it. As a child my bedroom floor was covered with bits of cut up paper, crushed crayons into the carpet, strange objects hanging over lamps to produce strange shadows, scissors stuck together with glue. My creative approach hasn't changed, I'm now just obsessed with trying to create interesting, layered, textured photographs instead (there is just less hoovering to be done which is a bonus). 



2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?
Passionate - if it's not from the heart it doesn't mean anything, I can't help but get very emotionally involved. (This massively has it's draw backs though, as I don't have a very thick skin.)

Personal - I try to capture the smallest of details, the sideways looks, the imperfections, even the scowls, that make that person who they are.

Colourful - Colour drives me and excites me. I like to think that even my B&W images are colourful, OK I know that doesn't make much sense, not sure if I can explain it either!  

3. What sparked your passion for photography? 
Like all things creative it's a way to express myself. To show people what it's like to be in my head, looking through my eyes. I'm not great with words so this is ideal! And also, if I'm honest, I'm fairly impatient, so unlike painting, sketching this has much more of an instant result. 

4. What's in your camera bag right now? 
Nikon D700, 50mm. 24-70mm and 85mm. 35 Film Nikon with 50mm lens. reflector and a pocket full of old shooting schedules. 

5. What is your dream shoot or project? 
My dream shoot, project is always the next one. I get butterflies, nervous and sleepless nights like it's the first time I've shot. I've been known to stop the car on the way to weddings and throw up. This isn't a negative thing BTW! I sketch and I plan (most goes out the window on the day though!) but I've done the shoot a hundred times before I get behind the camera. So really, for me, they are all dream projects, as I've dreamt them all.

6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how? 

I used to think that it would get easier, that there would be an end where I'd 'crack it', hold up my 10x8 and shout from the roof tops. But it doesn't, it gets harder, the more you know the more you want to know, the more you want to change. Now I've resigned myself to the fact that it's always going to be a uphill struggle forever and I now just enjoy the ride. 

7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning? 
Stop looking at other peoples' work, don't get draw in by what's 'on-trend' and start looking at what you want to do and what's in front of you. If I wasn't such a shallow person I would get off Facebook and grow taller!


Find more gorgeous work here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts