Friday, March 25, 2016

Feature Friday with Cortney Ann Photography!

Cortney Ann Photography is the winner of last week's 'grow' challenge, and has graciously shared some more of her beautiful work here with us! Read on to hear about her dream shoot, and learn what gear she uses...




1. Please tell us about yourself... I am a wife and Mommy. I have 2 boys, Elliott (3) and Oliver ( 1). I am currently pregnant with my third boy, due in August! We are very excited!
I am an artist who specializes in watercolor. I adore people and children. I am saved and I love Jesus. 

I also love decor and planning parties. I just love when it's time to plan a birthday party or pick out themes and styles for nurseries/boys room. 
I love to hike and I always have my camera welded to my hand! 
One of favorite times of the day is evening when the light is flowing into my house through the living room while my boys play. That is my prime time to shoot lifestyle. 
Most of the time my house is a little messy, I have almost no energy this pregnancy, so when it's shooting time I always try to eliminate clutter in the background by throwing it behind the couch! haha!! 
That's a mommy tog confession.







2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?
Candid, raw, rich
I chose those words because no matter what I shoot I always try and let the emotion flow through the image. I love working with couple for this reason because I can always capture their love in a true, raw way. 
I also adore using candid techniques and methods while having sessions with kids. I don't like to keep them in a position or pose them at all really. I simply try to guide them to the good light and then I talk with them. I often like some space from parents while shooting because I find I get more of their personality when I'm talking with them. 
I say, rich because I LOVE rich color stories (like jewel tones) in photos and I love deep shadows always, esp in black and whites. 






3. What sparked your passion for photography?
I fell in love with photography in high school. I was blessed by the photography program there. I was taught how to shoot on a Pentax film camera and then we would develop and print our own images in dark room. I ADORE film and I think that shows through my work and editing style. haha




4. What's in your camera bag right now?
I'm a canon girl! 
I love my Canon 5D Mark iii 
My lenses are Canon 85mm 1.8, Sigma Art 35mm 1.4 and a Canon 24-70mm 2.8
I just recently got my 35mm and it hasn't come off my camera yet... I'm in love. haha





5. What is your dream shoot or project?
My dream shoot would be to take a gorgeous young model out to coast of Washington and wake up super early while the fog was thick and hike to the best light and shoot from every angle!





6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how?
It's not easy!! I never really thought it was... but you never truly understand how much it truly involves until you do it. The years of honing my style, editing style and perfecting techniques have proved that it's not easy! 






7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning? Don't give up, shoot every day. Shoot anything. Shoot in all kinds of light. Don't be afraid to get out there and try something new. 
Do not over edit. haha! Sharpness is key! 
i wish someone helped me. I am self taught so I find that it took me a little longer to really figure it out. So if someone offers to help, take it! Photographers are usually pretty great and helpful! Don't be scared to ask like I was!






Find more of Cortney's beautiful work here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts