Friday, March 4, 2016

Feature Friday with Four Dots Photography!

We're so happy to share more about our last week's 'mischief' challenge winner, Liz of Four Dots Photography! Read on to learn how Liz's passion for photography began, and what her dream shoot would be!



1. Please tell us about yourself...
My name is Liz.  I'm a pre-school teacher turned stay at home mom to two boys, ages 3 and 1.5.  I live in Pennsylvania with my husband, my kiddos, and our aging rescue dog.  I love Jesus, coffee, quiet mornings, and (lots of!) homemade food.



2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?
I think I'd have to say that first and foremost, my style is sincere, because I seek to capture real life moments- the good, the bad, and all the in between; family, since that's where our stories always begin; and emotive because i work to create images that the viewer can connect with emotionally.



3. What sparked your passion for photography?
My dad!  He's been our "family photographer" for as long as I can remember- it's always been a side hobby of his, and I remember being fascinated with it growing up.  As an adult, an acquaintance (who is now a good friend) got me hooked on the artistic side of photography while my dad kept me interested in the technical side.



4. What's in your camera bag right now?
Nikon d7100 and the kit lens that came with it (18-140 mm), Nikon 50 1.4 and Nikon 35 1.8.  And a protein bar :)



5. What is your dream shoot or project?
I have so many!  But right now what I want most is to photograph a birth- and if the cards fall right, I may just get a chance in the upcoming weeks!



6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how?
The list is endless.  I had no concept of how much *work* photography is.  It never occurred to me that photo shoots could be physically exhausting or that editing requires hours behind a computer screen.  I also had a complete lack of appreciation for the amount of skill and practice required to consistently create beautiful images.  Now that I'm on the other side of the lens, I admire the work of talented photographers that much more!



7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?
Slumps happen. Shoot anyway.
You may not be able to create an image you're proud of everyday, or even every week. Shoot anyway.
Other people may not love the images you love. Shoot anyway.
Figure out why you decided to be a photographer in the first place and repeat that to yourself every time you pick up your camera- and then, while you're shooting, let the rest of the world just fall away :)

Find more of Liz's beautiful work here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts