Friday, April 22, 2016

Feature Friday with Vicki Winston Photography!

Vicki Winston Photography was the winner of last week's 'epic story' challenge!  Read on to find out how she describes her style, and what advice she offers to new photographers...



1. Please tell us about yourself...

I am 30 years old, I have been with my husband for more than half my life, 16 years this June, married for 12 years, I have four children with my eldest being 13 and youngest being 7. I love being in the countryside and long walks with my family walking our dog Hugo!  I love reading and can be found most days with my head in my kindle.  




2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?

 Emotive, Soulful and Real I love to capture connection. You can capture connection with people, the elements,Places. I like a good stare in to the camera, My tutor said to me which kinda stuck in my head "eyes are the windows to the soul" You know when you'll get one of these images, I get goosebumps when I see it! and real, I love to get out and find new places, I also love watching my children explore, I want to photograph THEIR personalities, even if the photograph is posed. 



3. What sparked your passion for photography?

I took far too many pictures when given my first ever camera as a child but I feel it really became a passion when I had my digital compact, I used to take far too many photos on days out and sometimes I would get the odd couple of candid ones that made me want to capture more of that, then my husband bought me my first DSLR three years ago, a Nikon D3100 and since then been hooked!



4. What's in your camera bag right now?

My Nikon D3100, it is STILL going strong, and attached to it is my 35mm 1.8 lens.



5. What is your dream shoot or project?

The beach! that is my favourite place to shoot and I get so inspired by the sounds of the waves and hearing my children laughing and playing doing their own thing whilst i capture it.I love it even more especially if it a windy day, I love photographing my daughters hair flying about. Ooh and there has to be clouds, I love a good sky in my pictures!




6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how?

The camera thing definitely, I thought the fancier your camera was the better your images would be! Yep I was one of those! My views have completely changed now, It is the photographer holding the camera that makes the photograph what it is! YOUR vision, the camera is just the instrument.



7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?

Comparison is a joy killer, and will leave you feeling uninspired and not good enough.try not to compare yourself, every artist is different, everyone has their way of doing things.So what I am saying is the only person you need to compare yourself to is you.

Find your style, shoot what YOU like to shoot! If you're not excited with what you are producing then are you shooting what YOU want to shoot?


Find more of Vicki's gorgeous work here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts