Friday, October 28, 2016

Feature Friday with Kianna's Lens Affair!

Kianna of Kianna's Lens Affair was the winner of last week's 'the great outdoors' challenge. Read on to find out all about her, and check out her gorgeous self portraiture!



1. Please tell us about yourself…
Hi, first of all, I am very bad at answering questions and describing things, which is why I love photography so much. I don’t need to saying anything with photography. It’s open to interpretation. I think I am better at showing than talking. Haha! Anyway, I am Chinese girl who moved to America 12 years ago. I live in Fargo ND with my husband and our precious little girl who is going on four. I am hoping that we can add another one next year. :) I’ve only been at this (photography) for a little bit over a year. But it feels like I’ve been doing this forever though. My relationship with photography is like meeting a new friend, and you feel like you’ve known this person all your life, and you become inseparable ever since. That’s how I feel about photography. It’s my true love as far as hobby goes. I am 100% committed to her.




2. Can you describe your style in 3 words? Why those words?
This is a hard question. I feel like my style is still evolving. How about I will pick three words that I hope my work represents? Emotive, Voyeuristic, Artistic . 
Emotive—I want my photography, especially my self-portraits to be evoking some kinda emotion. I am a very emotional person on the inside. In real life, I will never show the negative feeling openly. Such as hurt, disappointment, sadness….But thru my photography, I am willing to share. I want to show people the deeper emotion. 
Voyeuristic--- I used to read a lot. When I am heavily engrossed in the book, I feel like I enter into another person's world. It feels a little voyeuristic to me. I will go through the emotional rollercoaster as the main character or whichever character I connect to.I want the viewer to look at my pictures and look in to the subject’s soul and feel voyeuristic about it. It’s like peeking into someone else’s life. That is so mysterious to me. I’m not sure my work is there yet, but I’m working towards that goal. Artistic - This should be the most obvious one. I want to create something that looks like art !




3. What sparked your passion for photography?
It all started with the birth of my daughter.



4. What's in your camera bag right now?
Kelly Moore Pilot Backpack is what I carry most of the time now. In it is my canon 5D MarkIII, Lensbaby Edge 80 , and my 35 mm.



5. What is your dream shoot or project?
Dream shoot….. I’d love to have another photographer who is just as passionate about self-portraits as me…say, Rose Walton, or Sharon Covert... go out and do a photoshoot together. It’s hard to know whether I look right in camera or not when it’s just me. There’s a lot of running back and forth. It would just be lovely to have someone who’s like-minded and shoot together.. Now, I am dreaming.



6. What are some of the misconceptions you had about photography and photographers at the beginning of your photography journey? Have they changed, and how?
OK. Photography is so much better than I thought. I don’t remember exactly what I thought about photography before…but I know that I didn’t think of photography as an art form. I mean, photography is so many things, but to me, it’s artistic, it is emotional, soulful, therapeutic and last but not least, very addictive! I used to think photographers mostly just go out and shoot. Oh, has that changed now. Photographers not only go out and shoot, but culling is a big part too. There is editing, social media, website, education, stalking other photographers... Hehe….. Oh, and shopping for new gears. It’s a time-consuming biz.



7. What advice would you give to newbie photographers? What advice do you wish you'd been given at the very beginning?
I would say, just don’t give up. Learn from the pros, but don’t compare yourself to them. We are all so different in our own way. Your vision and style will come eventually. I used to get down on myself because I feel my pictures just weren’t good enough. Then I would tell myself, “Kianna, you’ve only been at this for six months….”

I wish someone would tell me that the technical part of photography isn’t everything. It’s not going to make you create captivating imagery. I think your vision is what makes you a great photographer. I am not a technical personal or photographer. I used to get so caught up, frustrated and stressed out about the technical part . For example, skin tones, RGB values. Oh my goodness, they gave canker sores. Frankly, with a lot of my self-portrait, I don’t worry about skin tones at all. With my vision, I almost always take down the vibrance and saturation so my face looks pale. I would say, just go out and shoot whatever, little details, big landscapes…and have fun with it! 



Find more of Kianna's beautiful work here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts